Bookkeeper and Accountant
Organization DescriptionThe mission of the Somali Bantu Community Association (SBCA) is to provide vital transitional services, advocacy, and programming that empowers members of the refugee community to uphold cultural identity and thrive in their new life here in Lewiston/Auburn, Maine. The largest program that SBCA runs is Liberation Farms, a community farming program. The mission of Liberation Farms is to provide new American farmers access to, and culturally-appropriate resources for, the means of sustainable food production for themselves and their communities to bolster food and economic security.
We are looking for a highly organized, experienced bookkeeper/accountant to join our team and manage the organization’s financials. This position will be involved in all SBCA programs, but will focus a significant amount of their time with Liberation Farms.
Due to COVID-19, our office is currently closed and we are looking for someone who is willing to onboard and work remotely. When the office reopens, we would ideally like for someone to come in-person at least once per week to perform their duties.
Responsibilities & Duties
● Grant reporting
● Cash flow analysis
● Work with ED to determine financial needs for various programs
● Assemble information for external auditors and accountants
● Balance monthly bank statements
● Organize and manage chart of accounts
● Make and review annual budgets
● Compile and send hours to payroll company
● Enter income and expenses in Quickbooks
● 4+ years general office, accounting, and/or HR experience
● Minimum 2 years bookkeeping experience with Quickbooks (SBCA uses Quickbooks Online)
● Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs
● Extremely organized with strong attention to detail and accuracy
● Able to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
● Able to create intuitive and efficient systems to optimize office operations
● Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
● Ability to adapt and thrive in a cross-cultural environment
● Ability to speak Maay Maay or Somali a plus
Part time 8-10 hours weekly with an extremely flexible schedule, including the ability to work remotely at times.
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter and detailing your interest in the position and relevant experience to Ashley Bahlkow at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include contact information for three professional references in your application.
April 30, 2020